Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait (1986)

Husband-and-Wife team John Smith & Valerie Day from Portland, Oregon (US) were Nu Shooz. They released four albums during the 1980s, but it was their third album which brought them global attention. Talk about transatlantic co-operation... :

Nu Shooz originally released the single I Can't Wait in Portland in April 1985 on Poolside Records. The original recording was done at Cascade Recording in Portland in the fall of 1984. The track was a big hit on Portland radio stations at the time, but they were turned down by every major label. A copy of the song made it to the Netherlands, where it was remixed by Peter Slaghuis. This version is known as the 'Dutch Mix.' The remix came back into the US as an import on Dutch label Injection Records. It was this version that got the attention of Atlantic Records, which signed the band to a contract in January 1986.

The song's American chart run coincided with that of a Stevie Nicks song also titled 'I Can't Wait', a rare incidence of two different songs with the same title charting at the same time. The extended mix contains more samples, such as 'c'mon!' from Madonna's 'Into the Groove', and takes the pitchshifting of the chorus even further, creating an eventual pitchdown at the ending.
According to Billboard in 2009, I Can't Wait plays somewhere on earth every eleven minutes.

Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait (1986)
UK#2, DE#2, US#3, NZ#3, CH#4, NL#9, IT#9, IRL#10, AT#16, FR#24


Lyrics:

My love, tell me what it's all about
You've go something that I can't live without
Happiness, is so hard to find
Hey baby, tell me what is on your mind

Coz I can't wait (baby I can't wait) till you call me on the telephone
I can't wait (baby I can't wait) till we're all alone

You know I love you even when you don't try
I know that our love will never die
Hey darling when you look into my eye
Please tell me you'll never have to say goodbye

Coz I can't wait (baby I can't wait) this is what I've been waiting for
I can't wait (baby I can't wait) till my love walked in the door
I can't wait (baby I can't wait) true love is so hard to find
I found yours, you found mine
I can't wait (baby I can't wait) tell me what is on your mind
Got to let you know...

I can't wait (baby I can't wait) till you call me on the telephone
I can't wait (baby I can't wait) till we're all alone
Oh oh I can't wait (baby I can't wait) true love is so hard to find
I found yours, you found mine
I can't wait (baby I can't wait) tell me what is on your mind
No, no, I can't wait (baby I can't wait)
No, I can't wait (baby I can't wait)
Say it one more time
Oh I can't wait (baby I can't wait) this is what I've been waiting for
Oh I can't wait (baby I can't wait) till my love walked in the door

No comments:

Post a Comment