Donna Giles - And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going

In 1994, Donna Giles recorded a track for Ore Records, which, at the time, swept the nations dancefloors in the UK by storm. Ever since, her version of the song has since grown into, what some (incl. my own humble self)may describe as a club classic.
To me, it is one song of a few which I treasure closely - even owning it still on 12" vivyl - because, like O.T. Quartet's 'Hold That Sucker Down', it is a fond part of my 1993/94 clubbing 'soundtrack' memories.

Cover of the 1994 Release
Following a strong response on the gay scene, Ore Records first released the single in August '94. Due to the then more-or-less limited audience, it reached #43 in the UK singles charts that year. The track then 'crossed over' to a wider clubbing audience and kept simmering in the straight 'underground' for the entire following year.

Cover of the 1996 Release
February 1996 saw the second release of the song, this time with video - enjoy below - when it managed to climb to #27.
'And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going' was originally written by Henry Krieger, with lyrics by Tom Eyen, for the Broadway musical 'Dreamgirls'. In the context of the musical it is sung by the character Effie White, a singer with the girl group The Dreams, to her manager, Curtis Taylor Jr., whose romantic and professional relationship with Effie is quickly ending. The lyrics describe Effie's love for Curtis, both strongly devoted and defiant. She refuses to let Curtis leave her behind, and boldly proclaims to him, 'I'm staying and you, you, you ... you're gonna love me!'
The song is also the debut single of two women who portrayed Effie. Jennifer Holliday originated the role on Broadway in 1981. The following year Jennier recorded an R&B version of it. Jennifer Hudson portrayed Effie in the 2006 film adaptation of Dreamgirls, winning an Oscar for the role. Her version became a Top20 R&B single, and a number-one dance hit in the US.

Donna Giles - And I am Telling You I'm Not Going
1994: UK#43, 1996: UK#27


Donna Giles - "And I'm telling you"
Uploaded by tkf. - See the latest featured music videos.

Jennifer Holliday - And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going



Jennifer Hudson - And I am Telling You I'm Not Going

No comments:

Post a Comment